I’m always trying to come up with more ideas for using the powder at the bottom of the cans of my THRIVE freeze dried fruit. I have to say, I think this one is my favorite idea yet. My kids had fun helping me make these flavored sugars. Here is how to make them:
- Take the powder (it will likely have a few chunks mixed in) from the bottom of a can of THRIVE freeze dried fruit and place it in a sealed food storage bag (try a quart sized Ziploc, the sandwich size was too thin and we actually pounded holes in it…oops).
- Pound it with a wooden spoon until it is 100% powder: as fine as sugar.
- Mix it with granulated sugar or powdered sugar or even raw sugar
Here are some ideas for uses (I have not yet tried all of these, but I will and as I do I will post about them):
- Sprinkle on cereal
- Sprinkle on buttered toast
- Use it to flavor a hot tea
- Use in baked goods to make them uniquely flavorful and colorful
- Sprinkle on top of muffins and other baked good before baking (like these banana muffins)
- Add to vinegar for a flavorful salad dressing
- Rim a cold drink / smoothie with them (especially if you mix them with raw sugar instead of granulated)
- Use the flavored powdered sugar to make colorful, flavorful frosting (I need to try this by adding some butter powder and water….hmmmm)
- Homemade pixy sticks! (see comment below from Nann Dalton)
Use you imagination! I would love to hear your ideas (leave a comment)!
Here is what cute Bethany did while we worked on the sugars and muffins: