In the past, I have avoided food storage because I didn’t know how to use it. If I were to have to eat solely out of my food storage for an extended period of time, I would want things I like to eat and know how to prepare. This became even more important to me when I had children.
- While I can use wheat in breads, I don’t know much about sprouting it or other methods of using it as a meat replacement etc. It would take a lot of work for me to be able to use my wheat beyond baking.
- Oil and Dairy are very hard to store for long periods of time, so many of my recipes would become unusable if I were to have to live solely on my food storage.
- Meats and Produce are also difficult to store. I don’t like (or often use) the following items that I have tried to include in our food storage in the past:
- Canned Produce: I don’t personally like canned fruits & veggies. They have a weird texture, and can’t be used in baking / cooking.
- Dried Fruits: Too many dried fruits give me stomach problems. They also can rarely be used in baking.
- Canned Meats: I just do not like how they taste. I can’t use them in most of my recipes b/c they taste nothing like the original product.
- Dried Meat: Can’t be rehydrated / used in cooking.
The goal of THRIVE Life (formerly Shelf Reliance) is to get your food storage “out of the basement and into the kitchen.” Every product is designed with this goal in mind. All THRIVE foods taste amazing and some THRIVE foods are even easier to use than the fresh product!
- The freeze drying process that THRIVE Life (formerly Shelf Reliance) uses does not change the color and texture of food. When hydrated (which is very simple), THRIVE freeze dried products taste very much like the fresh product.
- THRIVE meats are all pre-cooked, the cheese is all pre-grated, and the veggies are all pre-cut, so they are extremely quick and easy (easier than fresh products) to use in your recipes.
- The shortening, eggs, and butter etc are in powder form (just add water), and last for 5-10 years. They are easily used in recipes (some things turn out even better!) and there is no mess when baking with them.
- Even without re-hydrating them, the fruits & veggies make a very quick, easy, healthy snack for my kids. We no longer use any fruit snacks!
- There are hundreds of recipes available on the THRIVE Life (formerly Shelf Reliance) website that use Thrive foods as ingredients. They are all very tasty and developed by a professional chef with a background in culinary arts.
- You can use just the amount of produce you need in a recipe with out worrying about the rest of it going bad. You will never “over buy” fruits & veggies again!