September is National Preparedness Month!
Did you know that since 2004, September has been National Preparedness Month in the United States? September was chosen as National Preparedness Month, as the tragedies of September 11th, 2001 highlighted to the nation the importance of being prepared.
There will be lots going on all over the nation / internet! I will be posting about my experiences here during the month. I will also be offering some fantastic discounts on e-prep products and Thrive food packages. I will also be offering three HUGE giveaways (starting next Monday)! I hope that all of you will find a way to participate and celebrate!
What can you do?
Here are some ideas of things you can do to join in!
Simple and Quick:
- Choose a 10 min prep project each week (or more) this month and check it off your list!
- Follow me on pinterest so you’ll have access to preparedness ideas from the best preparedness bloggers out there
- If you have a lot of freeze dried foods, purchase the Thrive User Guide so you will know how to use them when you need them
- Print out this Conversion chart that should make using food storage in your everyday recipes a bit easier
- Print this First Aid Quick Guide and post it somewhere in your home where everyone can access it.
About an hour or so:
- Make a meal (or two or three) with 100% food storage. Find a huge list of recipes here.
- Study up on the difference between freeze dried and dehydrated foods and decide which you want for your family’s food storage.
- Consider starting a Thrive Q. Set a budget, pick your food and have it shipped to you each month automatically.
- Create a Family Evacuation Plan
- Rotate your water storage
A bit more involved:
- Live on your stored water for a day or two
- Live without electricity for a day or two
- Get prepared for winter by preparing your home for a winter storm or putting together a winter car kit.
- Start (or upgrade) your family’s 72 hour kit using this guide: Your Own 72 Hour Kit Plan (it is 50% off for this month only!)
- Begin (or improve) your family’s water storage system.
What I will be doing:
There are two projects I will be working on:
1. Powerless Laundry
I will be trying out a few different options for powerless laundry and will post the results (with pictures!) here on the blog.
2. Quick Meals
I will be creating three 100% food storage meals that can be made in just a few minutes with no electricity. This would be helpful in the first few days following a large disaster when you are trying to get your bearings, find your food storage and figure out your plans for the future.
What I did last year:
- Lived on my stored water for a few days
- Lived without electricity for a few day
- Created meals with 100% food storage
I would love to have you follow along with the project, sales and giveaways I will have going on this month! Here are a few ways to do that:
1. Signup to get my weekly newsletter that will inform you of ideas and projects happening all over the web as well as keep you informed on deals:
2. Subscribe to the blog to get every new blog post in your email:
3. Follow me on pinterest where I will share all I find from other preparedness bloggers this month!
4. Join me on facebook
I would sincerely love to hear from you this month more than any other! What will you be doing? Decide, plan it out and then let me know in the comments! As you accomplish things, come back and leave another comment letting me know how it went! I’m excited!
Use the buttons below to share this post with your friends, family and readers via facebook, pinterest, google+, twitter and more! Or shoot them an email with a link!