I’m always trying to come up with more ideas for using the powder at the bottom of the cans of my THRIVE freeze dried fruit. I have to say, I think this one is my favorite idea yet. My kids had fun helping me make these flavored sugars. Here is how to make them:
- Take the powder (it will likely have a few chunks mixed in) from the bottom of a can of THRIVE freeze dried fruit and place it in a sealed food storage bag (try a quart sized Ziploc, the sandwich size was too thin and we actually pounded holes in it…oops).
- Pound it with a wooden spoon until it is 100% powder: as fine as sugar.
- Mix it with granulated sugar or powdered sugar or even raw sugar
Here are some ideas for uses (I have not yet tried all of these, but I will and as I do I will post about them):
- Sprinkle on cereal
- Sprinkle on buttered toast
- Use it to flavor a hot tea
- Use in baked goods to make them uniquely flavorful and colorful
- Sprinkle on top of muffins and other baked good before baking (like these banana muffins)
- Add to vinegar for a flavorful salad dressing
- Rim a cold drink / smoothie with them (especially if you mix them with raw sugar instead of granulated)
- Use the flavored powdered sugar to make colorful, flavorful frosting (I need to try this by adding some butter powder and water….hmmmm)
- Homemade pixy sticks! (see comment below from Nann Dalton)
Use you imagination! I would love to hear your ideas (leave a comment)!
Here is what cute Bethany did while we worked on the sugars and muffins:
I am an independent consultant for THRIVE Life (formerly Shelf Reliance); a company with a mission to empower others to become self reliant, prosperous and charitable. You can learn more about THRIVE Life (formerly Shelf Reliance), buying their products, earning free products, or selling their products on my THRIVE Life (formerly Shelf Reliance) website.
Oooh! I love it! Thanks Mom!
How about Homemade Pixie sticks!