Homemade Spaghetti Sauce
Spaghetti is a staple at our house. We eat it often. I’ve perfected a recipe for homemade spaghetti sauce over the last 15 years or so. I used to use canned tomato sauce (not the jar Prego type stuff, just straight tomato sauce that I added seasonings to) in the past. But the amount of sodium and additives/preservatives started to bother me. Plus, a can of tomato sauce only has a shelf life of a year or two. So I’ve switched to the sodium free, additive free, 8 year shelf life tomato powder.
Normally, when I make this recipe I still use fresh sausage and mushrooms. But for the purpose of this experiment, I used 100% shelf stable ingredients! And my family didn’t notice the difference! They ate it for a good 10 minutes before my son asked why there were no REALLY BIG bites of sausage (the freeze dried sausage is all of a smaller uniform size). Otherwise, they noticed no difference!
Making the Spaghetti
Gather all your ingredients:
Slowly whisk in tomato powder until smooth. Turn heat down to simmer. Give it five minutes or so to thicken and then, if you like your sauce a bit thicker and 1-2 Tablespoons more tomato powder.
Mix spices, garlic powder and 2 teaspoons salt into sauce.
If you don’t want tomato dices in your sauce, you are done!
If you do like chucks of tomato in your sauce, add some tomato dices. These are extremely delicate, so add them last, add them slowly and fold them in gently.
Plate it up over spaghetti noodles and enjoy!
Want More Food Storage Recipes?
Looking for more 100% food storage / shelf stable recipes? Checkout my recipe book HERE.
- 1 T. olive oil
- 1 cup freeze dried sausage crumbles
- 1 Tbsp. freeze dried onion
- 1/ 2 cup freeze dried mushrooms(optional)
- 4 cups water
- ½ cup tomato powder
- 1.5 tsp. freeze dried parsley
- 1.5 tsp. freeze dried basil
- 1.5 tsp. freeze dried oregano
- 1.5 tsp. freeze dried Italian seasoning
- 1.5 - 2 tsp. salt
- 1.5 Tbsp. garlic powder
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup freeze dried tomato dices
- Add olive oil to a large saute pan over medium high heat. When oil is hot, add dry freeze dried sausage crumbles, dry onion, and dry freeze dried mushrooms. Saute for about 30 seconds.
- Add water to the pan.
- Add tomato powder and whisk until smooth. Turn heat down to simmer.
- Add freeze dried parsley, oregano, basil and Italian seasoning, dill, salt, garlic powder, and packed brown sugar. Let simmer for 5 minutes or so.
- Slowly add freeze dried tomato dices and fold them in gently.
If using dehydrated spices instead, reduce amount by half.
Pin It Now For Later!