I am not much of a cake person. I have cheesecake for my birthday every year. Cake just isn’t really my thing. But there is one cake I’ve never actually been able to forget; it was that good. A good friend’s mom made it often when I was in high school, but I haven’t had it since.
Bananas are such a good source of essential nutrients we need. Turning them into something useful for emergencies, and also a healthy snack, is something new and I suggest you should give it a try. A freeze-dried banana cake? Yes, you heard it right. But I also wonder what’s the difference between free-dried and dehydrated.
I decided to try to re-create it using freeze dried bananas because believe me, this cake is good enough to make any situation better. This recipe is made with 100% shelf-stable ingredients. I have all of these items in my food storage (or my “own home store”):
- 2 cups [url href=”https://simplefamilypreparedness.thrivelive.com/catalogsearch/result/?order=relevance&dir=desc&q=bananas”]freeze dried bananas[/url] (not dehydrated) crushed to a powder.
- 2 tsp. lemon juice
- 3 cups [url href=”https://simplefamilypreparedness.thrivelive.com/hard-white-winter-wheat-1.html”]white wheat flour[/url]
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. [url href=”https://simplefamilypreparedness.thrivelive.com/iodized-salt-1107.html”]salt[/url]
- 1 cup [url href=”https://simplefamilypreparedness.thrivelive.com/butter-powder-1.html”]butter powder[/url]
- 2 cups [url href=”https://simplefamilypreparedness.thrivelive.com/white-sugar-1102.html”]sugar[/url]
- 4 Tbsp. [url href=”https://simplefamilypreparedness.thrivelive.com/dried-egg.html”]whole egg powder[/url]
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 1/4 cup [url href=”https://simplefamilypreparedness.thrivelive.com/instant-milk-1.html”]instant milk powder[/url]
- 2 cups water
- Preheat oven to 275.
- Mix banana powder and all other dry ingredients. Add lemon juice, vanilla, and water.
- Mix on low until combined. Then, mix on medium-high for two full minutes.
- Pour into greased 9×13 inch pan and bake for about one hour (until toothpick comes out clean).
- Remove from oven and place directly into the freezer for at least 45 minutes (I do this with all cakes; it makes them very moist).
- Spread cream cheese frosting over cooled cake and enjoy!
If you are looking for a “perfect cream cheese frosting,” Kate over at Our Best Bites has one you can use. It is fabulous! (just click on the link above)