I am not much of a cake person. I have cheesecake for my birthday every year. Cake just isn’t really my thing. But there is one cake I’ve never actually been able to forget; it was that good. A good friend’s mom made it often when I was in high school, but I haven’t had it since.
I decided to try to re-create it using freeze dried bananas because believe me, this cake is good enough to make any situation better. This recipe is made with 100% shelf stable ingredients. I have all of these items in my food storage (or my “own home store”):
- 2 cups [url href=”http://simplefamilypreparedness.thrivelive.com/catalogsearch/result/?order=relevance&dir=desc&q=bananas”]freeze dried bananas[/url] (not dehydrated) crushed to a powder.
- 2 tsp. lemon juice
- 3 cups [url href=”http://simplefamilypreparedness.thrivelive.com/hard-white-winter-wheat-1.html”]white wheat flour[/url]
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. [url href=”http://simplefamilypreparedness.thrivelive.com/iodized-salt-1107.html”]salt[/url]
- 1 cup [url href=”http://simplefamilypreparedness.thrivelive.com/butter-powder-1.html”]butter powder[/url]
- 2 cups [url href=”http://simplefamilypreparedness.thrivelive.com/white-sugar-1102.html”]sugar[/url]
- 4 Tbsp. [url href=”http://simplefamilypreparedness.thrivelive.com/dried-egg.html”]whole egg powder[/url]
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 1/4 cup [url href=”http://simplefamilypreparedness.thrivelive.com/instant-milk-1.html”]instant milk powder[/url]
- 2 cups water
- Preheat oven to 275.
- Mix banana powder and all other dry ingredients. Add lemon juice, vanilla, and water.
- Mix on low until combined. Then, mix on medium-high for two full minutes.
- Pour into greased 9×13 inch pan and bake for about one hour (until toothpick comes out clean).
- Remove from oven and place directly into the freezer for at least 45 minutes (I do this with all cakes; it makes them very moist).
- Spread cream cheese frosting over cooled cake and enjoy!
If you are looking for a “perfect cream cheese frosting,” Kate over at Our Best Bites has one you can use. It is fabulous! (just click on the link above)
Want More Food Storage Recipes?
If you’d like more (family approved) 100% food storage recipes, I have a recipe book that you can find here or by clicking on the image below.