Have I mentioned that I really love Quinoa? Seriously. I think it is hands down one of my very favorite foods of all time. You can read all about what makes it so fantastic here: Product Highlight: Quinoa.
But to sum it up, it is tasty, healthy, versatile and easy. What could be better?
I’m have enjoyed trying some different things with Quinoa this month, and I have quite a few things still planned (gotta love Pinterest!).
Today, I”m sharing this Quinoa, Pea, and Black Bean Salad that was originally posted in the New York Time Health and fitness section. But as usual, I’ve made some adjustments and “Thrive-al-ized” the recipe. The result is another meal you can make with 100% shelf stable ingredients! And it is good! My Father-in-law was here when I made this, and I think he had three helpings! Enjoy!
Your Shelf Stable Ingredients:
Start by rinsing your Quinoa really well with lots of cold water. Otherwise, it may taste bitter.
Cook your quinoa and beans. Add 1 3/4 cup water to your Quinoa. Bring it to a boil, and then cover it and let it simmer for 15 minutes. Remove it from the heat, and let it sit for another 10 minutes or so before you fluff it with a fork. For the beans, add just about 2 cups of water. Bring to a boil, and then simmer for about 15-20 minutes. Drain and rinse well.
While the beans and quinoa are cooking, hydrate your veggies. I like to add them all to a clear glass or bowl and then add water slowly until they just start to float. You can see below that the peas are just barely floating above the bottom of the glass. Stir everything around a few times over the next 15-20 minutes, and you will have perfectly hydrated veggies that aren’t soggy!
Add the quinoa, beans, and all those veggies to your serving dish.
Toss with dressing, chill, and serve!
Note – The links in this post are affiliate links meaning if you purchase after clicking on them, I will be given a small commission (at no additional cost to you). Learn more here about how I am (and am not) compensated, and thank you for your support of me and my family!
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed well in cold water
- 1½ cups water
- 1 cup THRIVE freeze dried instant black beans
- 2 cups water
- ¾ cup freeze dried green peas
- ¾ cup freeze dried red bell peppers
- ¼ cup freeze dried chili peppers
- ¾ cup water
- 2 Tbsp. freeze dried cilantro
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 1 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. garlic (I buy mine at Costco)
- 1 tsp. cumin powder
- 3 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ Cup THRIVE instant milk, prepared
- Place the quinoa in a strainer and rinse several times with cold water.
- Add quinoa and 1½ cups water to small pot. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for about 15 minutes or until all the water is absorbed. Remove from heat and let sit for 10 minutes, and then fluff with a fork.
- Add beans and 2 cups water to a pot. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 15-20 minutes or until beans are soft. Drain and rinse well.
- Add all veggies to a clear glass or bowl. Add just enough water to make them start to float (I added about 3-4 cup water). Let sit for about 15 minutes (stirring gently and occasionally) to hydrate.
- Mix together the lime juice, vinegar, salt to taste, garlic, and cumin. Whisk in the olive oil and the milk.
- Toss the quinoa, black beans, peas, red pepper, chili pepper, and cilantro in a serving dish.
- Add vinaigrette and serve.
Want More Food Storage Recipes?
If you’d like more (family approved) 100% food storage recipes, I have a recipe book that you can find here or by clicking on the image below.