I am SO excited about this copycat Campbell’s tomato soup recipe! It took me forever to perfect it, so I’m just thrilled to finally be able to post it!
I have a son who absolutely loves Campbell’s tomato soup. I’ve tried a bunch of homemade versions of tomato soup, but he just wants the canned stuff. Birthday dinner? Campbell’s tomato soup. Got a cold? Campbell’s tomato soup. Lunch date with Mom? Campbell’s tomato soup. He LOVES the stuff.
But, I don’t. It isn’t the taste. I enjoy it, but I don’t love the high fructose corn syrup and preservatives.
Plus, I love my tomato powder for so many reasons (convenient, made from fully ripened tomatoes, VERY cost effective, no additives), and want to be able to use it for all things tomato. It is my very favorite “food storage” product…one that I would use regularly even if I wasn’t at all into preparedness. And the idea of storing just one 100% tomato product instead of multiple (canned with aditives) products is appealing. I already use it to make spaghetti sauce, vegetable beef soup, enchilada sauce, enchilada soup, bayou pasta, chili, and even ketchup. I’d love to be able to continue to add to that list!
Campbell’s Tomato Soup Recipe
Well, a few months ago, I decided to try to make a copycat Campbell’s tomato soup using my tomato powder and see if my son could tell the difference. I failed. Big time. We ate pizza for dinner that night.
But I kept trying! And I finally found a recipe that is amazing. I served it to my son last week, and he had no idea it wasn’t his beloved canned friend. He was just so grateful that I’d made his favorite meal for dinner.
It’s pretty simple. You need just five ingredients.
And water…so I guess that makes six ingredients. (-:
How to Make Campbell’s Tomato Soup Recipe
Add 4.5 cups water to a pot, and heat until almost boiling. Then whisk in tomato powder. It will turn a bit frothy. Turn heat down to medium low.
Add flour and water mixture while whisking. Soup will thicken.
Then add the salt and brown sugar, and mix well.
Let the soup come back up to a simmer, and then turn the heat off and add milk.
Serve it up and serve with your favorite bread, crackers, or (my son’s favorite) grilled cheese!
Enjoy Your Copycat Campbell’s Tomato Soup!
Pin It Now For Later!
- 6 Tbsp water + 4 Tbsp [url href=”http://simplefamilypreparedness.thrivelive.com/catalogsearch/result/?order=relevance&dir=desc&q=flour”]flour[/url]
- 1/4 C water + 3 Tbsp [url href=”http://simplefamilypreparedness.thrivelive.com/milk-powder.html”]instant milk powder[/url] (or 1/4 C whole milk)
- 4 1/2 C water
- 2/3 C [url href=”http://simplefamilypreparedness.thrivelive.com/tomato-powder-1018.html”]tomato powder[/url]
- 4 Tbsp [url href=”http://simplefamilypreparedness.thrivelive.com/brown-sugar-1068.html”]brown sugar[/url]
- 2 tsp [url href=”http://simplefamilypreparedness.thrivelive.com/iodized-salt-1084.html”]salt[/url]
- Mix flour and water well until smooth.
- Mix water and milk powder until smooth.
- Heat water over high heat until almost boiling.
- Add tomato powder while whisking.
- Turn heat down to medium low.
- Slowly add flour and water mixture while whisking.
- Add brown sugar and salt, and mix well.
- Heat mixture to almost boiling again, then turn off heat and add milk.
If you’d like more (family approved) 100% food storage recipes, I have a recipe book that you can find here or by clicking on the image below.