I found this recipe in Ree Drummond’s The Pioneer Woman Cooks cookbook. She makes it as a casserole, and I’m not sure what I did wrong, but when I tried that with all shelf stable ingredients, the casserole ended up much too dry. So, I tried again, only this time I treated it just like I do my regular old spaghetti recipe. I made the noodles and sauce separately, and then spooned the sauce over the noodles.
It was perfect! Tasted great and cut out a whole 35-45 minutes of baking time. Plus, this way, each person can have their noodles as “saucy” as they’d like! (I like a lot more sauce than my husband does….. 🙂
Making Saucy Chicken Spaghetti
Gather your ingredients:
Add 3/4 cup water, Chef’s Choice seasoning, and pepper to chicken and 1/4 cup water to veggies. Stir well and set aside.
Add flour, butter powder, and oil to the pan.
Heat over medium high heat while whisking constantly. Mixture should resemble small pebbles and just barely start to brown.
As soon as mixture starts to brown in spots, turn heat down to medium and slowly add water, whisking constantly until sauce is smooth.
Stir your chicken and veggies.
Add milk powder and bouillon to sauce and whisk until well incorporated.
Stir your chicken and veggies. Give sauce a 2-3 minutes to heat back up. Make sure you stir it regularly. Once very hot, add cheese, and stir until all cheese is melted into the sauce.
Add chicken and vegetables to sauce, and stir to combine.
Note – The links in this post are affiliate links meaning if you purchase after clicking on them, I will be given a small commission (at no additional cost to you). Learn more here about how I am (and am not) compensated, and thank you for your support of me and my family!
- 1½ cups freeze dried chicken
- 1 tsp. Chef's Choice all purpose blend seasoning
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- ¾ cup water
- ¼ cup freeze dried green chilies
- ⅓ cup freeze dried onions
- ¼ cup freeze dried bell peppers
- ¼ cup water
- ⅓ cup butter powder
- ¼ cup flour
- 2½ Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 cups water
- ¾ cup instant milk powder
- 2 tsp. chicken bouillon
- 2 cups freeze dried cheddar cheese (make sure it is hydrated...instructions here)
- Add ¾ cup water, Chef's Choice seasoning, and pepper to chicken and stir coating all chicken in the water. Set aside.
- Add ¼ cup water to veggies. Stir well and set aside.
- Add flour, butter powder, and oil to a sauce pan over medium high heat.
- Whisk constantly until mixture resembles small pebbles and just barely start to brown.
- As soon as mixture starts to brown in spots, turn heat down to medium and slowly add 2 cups water.
- Whisk constantly until sauce is smooth.
- Take a break from the sauce for a second, and stir your chicken and veggies.
- Add milk powder and bouillon to sauce, and whisk until well incorporated.
- Give sauce a 2-3 minutes to heat back up, but make sure you stir it regularly.
- Once sauce is again very hot, add cheese, and stir until all cheese is melted into the sauce.
- Add chicken and vegetables to sauce and stir to combine.
- Serve over spaghetti noodles and top with additional cheese and green peas if desired.
Want More Food Storage Recipes?
If you’d like more (family approved) 100% food storage recipes, I have a recipe book that you can find here or by clicking on the image below.